Car Free Day: A Warm Sunday in My Hometown (Nahdiah Amin)

2025年12月31日水曜日

t f B! P L

Hi everyone! Hope you've all been well. 

I am currently spending my year-end and New Year holiday in my country, Indonesia. This trip is very special to me because it is my first time returning home after two years of studying in Japan. Being able to meet my parents and younger siblings again, spend time together, and share simple moments as a family makes me feel truly grateful.


I would like to share about one of my activities on last Sunday.


In Indonesia, many cities hold an activity called Car Free Day (CFD) every Sunday morning. During Car Free Day, certain main roads are closed to cars and motorcycles, allowing people to walk, jog, cycle, and enjoy the city in a healthier and more relaxed way. This activity is also held in Ternate City, where I live. Food stalls line both sides of the street, while the middle is filled with people jogging, running, and cycling.



Last Sunday, I joined Car Free Day on one of the main streets in Ternate City. What I found most interesting was the strong connection between food and culture. People can open small stalls to sell food and drinks as long as they register in advance. Traditional foods such as nasi jaha (sticky rice cooked with coconut milk in bamboo) and lalampa (grilled sticky rice filled with seasoned fish) were very popular. There were also familiar foods like siomay, fried noodles, donuts, kimbab, burgers, and so on.



What makes Car Free Day in Ternate even more special is that it is held on a road along the coastline. While walking or jogging, we can also enjoy the view of the sea, feel the ocean breeze, and see the horizon. This makes the activity feel calmer and more refreshing.



Jogging while seeing rows of food stalls on both sides of the street, along with the sea view, made the activity more enjoyable and less tiring. Car Free Day feels like a healthy habit that is easy to enjoy, and it also becomes a moment for family and friends to spend time together. Also, buying delicious food and snacks after jogging feels like a well-deserved reward, right? Hehe.


I went jogging with my younger siblings, and after returning home, we shared the snacks we bought with our parents. It was a simple but warm moment that reminded me how meaningful family time can be.


I hope everyone, wherever you are, can enjoy a joyful end of the year.

Happy New Year!


Calendar

Search This Blog

投稿数

QooQ