Hello, everyone. Last weekend, I visited Meiji Mura, an open-air museum in Inuyama City, Aichi Prefecture. My main purpose was to take part in a puzzle-solving event held there.
Meiji Mura preserves and exhibits many valuable buildings from the Meiji era. The buildings were relocated and reconstructed just as they originally were, and the spacious grounds are dotted with structures such as schools, post offices, prisons, churches, and elegant residences. Many of them can be explored from the inside. Because the site is so large, most visitors spend half a day to a full day walking around at a relaxed pace. You can also ride a steam locomotive or an old streetcar, which allows you to experience historical transportation firsthand. Simply walking through the village is enjoyable, as the brick buildings and recreated old streets make you feel as if you’ve stepped back into the Meiji period.
This time, I participated in a puzzle-solving game set throughout Meiji Mura. You walk around the vast grounds searching for clues, using the booklet and kit you receive to find hints hidden in the buildings and scenery, and solve the mysteries step by step.
What made the event especially exciting for me was that it was a collaboration with “Golden Kamuy,” one of my favorite anime series. Golden Kamuy is set in Hokkaido during the late Meiji era. To briefly summarize the story, the main character, Saichi Sugimoto known as “Immortal Sugimoto” sets out on a journey to find hidden Ainu gold in order to help the wife of his fallen comrade. Along the way, he encounters a bear and is nearly attacked, but he is saved by an Ainu girl named Asirpa. Skilled in hunting and rich in knowledge about nature, Asirpa teams up with Sugimoto, and the two work together to uncover the mystery of the gold.
All of the characters in the anime are strikingly unique, which makes the series incredibly fun to watch. Asirpa often prepares traditional Ainu dishes using her deep knowledge of plants, animals, and cooking techniques, and every dish looks fascinating. It’s enjoyable just imagining what they might taste like. In the Ainu language, people say “hinna hinna” to express gratitude for food or to say something is delicious. After watching the anime, you might find yourself saying “hinna hinna” at mealtime too!
The Golden Kamuy × Meiji Mura collaboration is running until Sunday, December 14th. If you are interested, I highly recommend visiting. The puzzle theme changes depending on the season, so it is fun to return for other versions as well.
Thank you for reading to the end!
Wakazono Ayaka


Thank you for your post! This place, Meiji Mura, and the anime Golden Kamuy all sound really interesting! After reading your post, I can imagine how fascinating this location is, there are many activities we can do there.. and I’m impressed by how they still preserve many valuable buildings from the Meiji era… that was more than a hundred years ago, right!? I just added Meiji Mura to my bucket list 😊
返信削除Thank you for reading my post! I hope you’ll visit someday. Meiji Mura is very large, and you’ll probably end up walking a lot, so I recommend wearing comfortable shoes☺️
削除I read your post. I had read "Golden Kamuy" five years ago. I like Shiraishi because he is very clever survivor. Please teach me your favorite character.
返信削除Thank you for reading my post.
削除My favorite character is Tanigaki Nispa. As a matagi, he has an impressive ability to survive in nature, and I find it appealing how he stays calm and handles any situation. I’m also drawn to his kindness toward his friends and Asirpa’s family, as well as his straightforward and sincere personality.