I once talked about this with my Japanese friend, and she explained that, for her appetite and dietary needs, one regular-size onigiri is not enough, while two regular-size onigiri feel like too much. For her, one bigger-size onigiri is just the right amount and enough to feel satisfied. This conversation made me realize how thoughtfully everyday food portions are adjusted to individual comfort rather than fixed standards.
This idea is not limited to onigiri. I also noticed that instant udon, soba, and ramen sold in supermarkets are available in smaller-size portions. These are especially useful when someone feels slightly hungry or when a meal does not feel quite satisfying enough. They make it easy to add a small amount of food without overeating or feeling forced to finish a full portion, allowing more flexible and balanced eating in daily life.
Another example I often see in supermarkets is vegetables sold specifically for one-person hot pot meals (nabe). These packs contain just the right amount of vegetables for a single meal, which helps reduce food waste and saves preparation time. They are particularly helpful for people who live alone or have busy schedules, reflecting consideration for modern lifestyles and changing household structures.
Since my field of study is food processing, I tend to notice not only the food itself but also how it is portioned and designed for daily consumption. When I compare this with my home country, I notice a different approach. While larger-size or “extra” versions of snacks are common, products designed for smaller portions or individual meals are less common.
Through these experiences, I feel that Japanese food culture places importance on balance, efficiency, and respect for individual needs. This made me appreciate how food production and product development can thoughtfully respond to diverse needs in society. Through these small but practical choices, I came to understand that consideration in everyday eating is often embedded in food products through portion design.



Ummm, interesting. I wonder if you can order bigger size in restaurant in other counrties. In japan, especially for noodles and donburi they usually offer bigger size. In many cases, we see "+100 Yen for bigger size." Is it also the case in other countries?
返信削除Thank you for your comment, sensei.
削除In Indonesia, at least in the region where I am from, it is actually uncommon to see a “bigger size” option when ordering. Instead, people usually add extra rice if it runs out, or order additional side dishes separately. In this way, portion adjustments tend to happen during the meal, rather than choosing a larger size upfront, as we often see in Japan..