Huitlacoche, known as the Mexican truffle, refers to corn infected with ear smut. Ear smut is a type of disease that causes deformed plants, causing black, powdery tissue to form on the leaves, nodes, and ears of the plant.
In other countries, this type of corn is discarded, but in Mexico it is treated as a luxury food. I only saw it once during my stay in Mexico, in my teacher's farm. His wife made a dish called quesadilla, a tortilla filled with huitlacoche and cheese. It had a texture similar to mushrooms and was delicious.
Even if I happened to find it, I wouldn't think to eat it... It's a luxury ingredient in Mexico, isn't it? Pioneers are truly remarkable.
返信削除Thank you for your comment. I agree. I heard cheese was first created when people ate spoiled milk. I'm grateful for the courage of our ancestors.
削除I know that disease but I did not know it is eaten in Mexico. I need to find the opportunity to visit Mexico. Or can we find it in Mexican restaurants in Japan?
返信削除Thank you for your comment. I've never seen it at Mexican restaurants in Japan. While Japanese Mexican cuisine has staples like tacos, mole, and guacamole, it's sad that my favorites like pozole and tamales aren't available. But since witlacoche isn't commonly found in restaurants even in Mexico, I think asking farmers is your best bet.
削除