Dear all,
I expect that all members except for this week's presenters already made questions to two presentations.
Some of presenters has begun asnwering them so wait for answers!
Now a week has past and so let's go on to the next ones.
Here is the link to Tasuku's Japanese soba.
I imagine that neither ju-wari or ni-hachi is used for Gifu's hiyashi-tanuki. Can you explain the truth?
I enjoyed learning about soba and its cultural importance in Japan. I didn’t realise how much care goes into making soba noodles.
返信削除How do different types of soba, like juwari versus ni-hachi soba, influence the eating experience, and is one type preferred for cold versus hot dishes?
Thank you for your question!
削除Juwari soba has a stronger buckwheat flavor but is more fragile, while ni-hachi soba is more elastic and easier to eat. Juwari is often preferred for cold dishes to enjoy its aroma, whereas ni-hachi is commonly used for hot dishes because it holds its texture better.
Thank you for your nice presentation, I’m curious, does the type of flour (ju-wari vs ni-hachi) really make a big difference in taste and texture when eating soba? And since making 100% buckwheat soba (ju-wari) seems quite tricky, is it something home cooks usually try, or is it mainly made by professional soba chefs?”
返信削除Thank you for your question!
削除Yes, the type of flour does make a noticeable difference. Juwari soba has a stronger buckwheat aroma and a more delicate, slightly crumbly texture, while ni-hachi soba is smoother and more elastic, making it easier to eat. Because juwari soba is difficult to handle and requires advanced skills, it is usually made by professional soba chefs.
Thank you for your slide about soba, it was very interesting.
返信削除In your presentation, you mentioned that buckwheat flour does not contain gluten, which results in dough that is fragile and prone to breaking during the noodle-making process.
Are there any specific techniques, tips, or considerations that soba makers apply to handle this fragility and produce soba noodles that meet quality standards?
Thank you for your great question!
削除To handle the fragility of buckwheat dough, soba makers carefully control water content, kneading pressure, and rolling thickness. Proper hydration helps improve dough cohesion, while gentle but thorough kneading creates a more uniform structure. Temperature and humidity in the workspace are also important factors.
Thank you for the presentation. I like soba, especially 100% buckwheat soba. I also like "sobayu" and always drink it, but I sometimes wonder why there is a tradition of drinking the boiling water...
返信削除Thank you for your comment!
削除Sobayu has a gentle aroma and mild flavor because the taste and nutrients from buckwheat are released into the water during boiling. When mixed with the leftover dipping sauce, it becomes richer and even more enjoyable. That is one of the nice aspects of soba culture.
I've tried making soba noodles at home before, but I found it quite difficult to achieve the same quality as the noodles you get at a soba restaurant. Have you tried it yourself? If so, I'd really appreciate it if you could recommend the ratio of buckwheat flour you use.
返信削除Thank you for your comment!
削除I haven’t tried making soba myself yet, but for beginners, ni-hachi soba is often recommended because it is easier to handle. Juwari soba is more challenging and usually requires more experience...
Why doesn't buckwheat spread like other crops? For example, wheat flour, barley, and rye are widely used for bread. One buckwheat researcher said that stickiness is important.
返信削除That’s a very interesting question!
削除One main reason is that buckwheat does not contain gluten, which gives wheat dough its elasticity and stickiness. This makes buckwheat dough harder to handle and less suitable for bread-making, which requires strong dough structure.
このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。
返信削除