Hoba-yaki in Hida area (Tasuku MIYACHI)

2026年2月23日月曜日

t f B! P L

 

Last week, in addition to eating Kei-chan yaki, I traveled to the Hida area of Gifu to try Hoba-yaki, a traditional local dish of the region. Hoba-yaki is a specialty of Hida in which miso, vegetables, and sometimes beef or mushrooms are grilled on a large magnolia leaf (hoba) over a small flame.


This cooking style developed in the mountainous areas of Hida, where magnolia leaves were easily available and could be used as a natural cooking surface. When heated, the leaf releases a subtle fragrance that blends with the rich aroma of the miso. The miso used in Hoba-yaki is slightly sweet and very aromatic, and it becomes even more flavorful as it is warmed.


When I tasted it, I was impressed by how the fragrance of the miso and the leaf created a unique and satisfying flavor. 

Calendar

Search This Blog

投稿数

QooQ