Dhokla is one of those traditional foods that is instantly comforting because it is soft, fluffy, and slightly tangy. This steamed savoury snack is adored all over India for its delicate flavour balance and light texture.
India has many food philosophies shaped by culture, tradition, and regional diversity. Dhokla originated in Gujarat (western India), which has a strong vegetarian food tradition. As a result, dhokla is primarily consumed by vegetarian communities and is naturally vegan, making it a comforting and nutritious snack.
The simplicity and satisfaction of dhokla are what I adore most about it. The main ingredient is fermented gram flour batter, which is then steamed to perfection before being tempered with curry leaves, mustard seeds, and green chillies. Every bite is unique thanks to the fresh coriander on top and a hint of sweetness from the sugar syrup.
It took me a few attempts to get the batter right, but now I think it’s good. I wish I had access to fresh curry leaves... Dried ones just don’t give the same fragrance.
Dhokla, to me, reminds me of family gatherings around the table, sharing plates, and enjoying afternoon snacks. It's ideal for breakfast, tea time, or even a light dinner because it's one of those foods that feels cosy without being heavy.
When I eat dhokla plain, with green chutney (a mint/coriander dip), or with a cup of tea, it never fails to make me smile.
Sometimes I wonder—are vegetarian/vegan snacks only big in India?

It looks like we'll have a very flavorful time!
返信削除Vegetarian cuisine still isn't very common in Japan... Though similar yet distinct, there's shojin ryori (Buddhist temple cuisine). Japan has probably become more open to it in recent years, so restaurants like that will likely increase gradually.
I also agree that Japan seems to be gradually becoming more open to vegetarian options in recent times.
返信削除Thank you for telling me about shojin ryori. I didn’t know much about it before, but it sounds really interesting and meaningful. I will definitely check it out on the web.
返信削除