hello everyone
This week, I'd like to share a lifestyle practice that has stayed with me over the years: Surya Namaskar, or Sun Salutation. I first learnt it in school when I was very young. It was mandatory at the time, and to be honest, I didn't give it much thought. Fast forward to now, and it is something I choose to do because it simply works.
As you may already know, I am from India, where yoga originated thousands of years ago. Yoga is more than just a fitness regimen; it is a way of life. Surya Namaskar is traditionally practised in the morning, facing the rising sun. The name itself translates to bowing down to the sun at the start of the day. That being said, I will admit that I practice it at any time of day. Morning routines are great, but when life gets hectic, your body needs movement, and Surya Namaskar is the ideal solution.
Sun Salutation is a series of 12 yoga poses that gently stretch, strengthen, and energise the entire body. What is the best part? You don't need specialised equipment, a gym membership, or a lot of time. Just a mat, some space, and a few quiet moments.
However, Surya Namaskar involves more than just physical movement. What makes Surya Namaskar special is the interconnectedness of body, mind, and breath. Each movement is coordinated with breathing, resulting in a rhythm that relaxes the mind and grounds the body.
What I appreciate the most is how adaptable it is. Feeling energetic? Do more rounds. Feeling low or tired? Slow it down and focus on breathing. It's like doing a daily check-in with your body and mind.
I usually do 5-6 rounds at a time, which feels right for me. A fun fact: experienced yoga practitioners can perform 100 Surya Namaskaras in one go, which still amazes me.
If you're curious or want to try it, I'd be happy to provide a YouTube link to get you started.
Link= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJb1AWMc-64
See you all next week!
I first did not understand "Sun Salutation" means, but I found it is something like one of "kata" in karate.
返信削除Yes, Sun Salutation is actually a sequence of yoga poses performed in a flowing movement. It’s called Surya Namaskar in Sanskrit. I really like your comparison to “kata” in karate—it makes a lot of sense.
返信削除