My name is Yuni
Kartika, and you can call me Yuni. I am originally from West Sumatra,
Indonesia, a region known for its rich culinary traditions, especially spicy
foods and coconut-based dishes. One thing that characterizes me is that I am
deeply passionate about agriculture, food science, and cross-cultural
experiences. I enjoy learning in international environments because it allows
me to understand different perspectives and lifestyles.
I am currently
a first-year doctoral student in the Food Engineering Laboratory, course Science of
Biological Resources at the United Graduate School of Agricultural Science
(UGSAS), Gifu University.
My PhD study
focuses on "The effects of ozone treatment on cell wall and membrane
integrity of postharvest fruits and vegetables". In simple terms, I
study how ozone, an eco-friendly technology, can help maintain fruit quality
during storage by reducing softening, slowing color change, and protecting cell
structure. I hope my research can contribute to reducing postharvest losses and
promoting sustainable fruit preservation.
Recently, I
had a memorable experience with Japanese seasonal foods, especially persimmon (kaki). It was
interesting for me to compare the fruit I study scientifically with the way
Japanese people enjoy it traditionally—fresh, dried (hoshigaki), or used in
desserts. This helped me appreciate how food can reflect local culture,
climate, and lifestyle.
I was also
impressed by the Japanese custom of valuing seasonality (shun), where people truly
celebrate the arrival of each seasonal ingredient. Coming from Indonesia, where
many fruits are available year-round, this seasonal awareness feels very unique
and meaningful.

Hi, Yuni. Thank you for posting for the first place. What fruit is your target in your research? I wonder if ozone works differently for different fruits.
返信削除Thank you, Sensei. Now I am doing the research on the persimmon fruit, but actually, I have done research about the effect of ozone on jackfruit, durian, and some fresh-cut fruits and vegetables during my master's study in Thailand. From what I understand, the response of each type of produce to ozone treatment can differ significantly. This is because every commodity has its own tolerance level to ozone concentration and exposure time, influenced by factors such as surface characteristics, tissue structure, antioxidant capacity, and susceptibility to oxidative stress. Therefore, ozone may be highly effective for some produce, while others may require adjusted concentrations to avoid potential damage.
返信削除Hello Yuni,
返信削除Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with Japanese seasonal foods.
I’m curious—do you personally find persimmons delicious?
In Japan, some people prefer firm and crunchy persimmons, while others enjoy them soft and sweet. Which type do you like more?
Hello!
削除Yes, I actually find persimmons really delicious. There are two main types, astringent and non-astringent, and I personally like the non-astringent ones with a firm texture, for example Fuyu cultivar one. Overall, I really enjoy persimmon, but I definitely prefer eating them fresh rather than dried.
このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。
返信削除