From Seeing to Picking: My Persimmon Harvest Experience (Yuni Kartika)

2025年12月22日月曜日

t f B! P L

For this week’s post, I’d like to share a special experience I had last week, one that I had been quietly looking forward to since autumn began.

Last week, I had the chance to harvest persimmons directly from an orchard here in Gifu. It was actually the very end of the persimmon season. A friend of my sensei, who owns a persimmon farm, wanted to finish harvesting all the remaining fruits, and I was lucky enough to be invited to help.

For someone living in Gifu, seeing persimmons from October to December is completely normal. You see them hanging on trees along the road, in gardens, and in the countryside. But this time was different. Instead of just seeing them, I could pick the persimmons myself, straight from the trees.

Standing in the orchard, reaching for the bright orange fruits, felt surprisingly meaningful. It was an experience I had been hoping for, especially as someone studying postharvest and fruit quality. Holding the fruit in my hands right after harvesting gave me a different perspective compared to seeing them in stores or markets.

I ended up bringing home a lot of persimmons. So many that I couldn’t possibly keep them all to myself. I shared them with my lab mates and also with some Indonesian friends. It felt nice to pass along not just the fruit, but also a small part of that experience.

I’ll attach a few photos from the harvest.
This was definitely one of those simple but unforgettable moments that make living in Gifu feel very special to me.

Thanks for reading, and I’m looking forward to everyone’s posts this week!

  




Calendar

Search This Blog

投稿数

QooQ