This Christmas, I visited the Christmas market in Makuhari, Chiba Prefecture. It was a Swiss style Christmas market. There were many stores selling sundry articles and foods.
I was interested in hot wine, but since I had come by car, I couldn’t drink it... I heard that in European countries, people usually make hot wine at home during Christmas, so I decided to try making it myself.
The ingredients were as follows:
Red wine: 400 ml
Honey: 2 tablespoons
Cinnamon: a small amount
Orange: 2 slices
Lemon: 2 slices
Ginger: 2 slices
The method is very simple. Heat all ingredients in a pot until just before boiling, and add the orange and lemon at the end. The amount of honey and cinnamon can be adjusted to taste.
It had a aroma and sweetness, and it was very delicious on a cold winter day.
However, bitterness was a little strong. So I added a small amount of water and orange juice, and I enjoyed it very much. I recommend adding it for people who don’t like wine.
I wonder why we Japanese do not enjoy like this way. Or amazake occupies that position?
返信削除I agree hot wine is very similar to amazake in Japan. Hot wine can be made delicious for anyone by arranging the recipe, so I believe it would become more popular if more people were aware of it.
削除Swiss style... I wonder what style I went with... I didn't really pay much attention. Since I've never had mulled wine before, I'll give this recipe a try.
返信削除Thanks for the comments! and sorry for the late reply... I also have learned recently about differences in styles. German style is the most well known. You should try mulled wine while it’s still cold in winter!
削除