For this week’s post, I want to share something that has become my little comfort ritual here: cooking Indonesian food from scratch. Whenever the lab gets busy and my mind feels full, spending time in the kitchen helps me reset. And this time, I made two dishes that instantly reminded me of home: stuffed tofu (tahu isi) and homemade chicken siomay.
The first dish is tahu isi, a classic Indonesian snack. In the picture, you can see the tofu pockets filled generously with glass noodles, carrots, and green onions. I love the contrast, it’s crispy on the outside, but warm and soft on the inside. Even the sound of it sizzling in the pan felt comforting. This is the kind of snack that tastes best right after cooking, when the steam escapes the moment you take a bite.
And of course, no siomay is complete without the peanut sauce. Mine turned out thick, nutty, and slightly spicy—the kind of sauce that makes everything taste richer. I think the peanut sauce might be the star of the whole plate.
Cooking these dishes made me feel a little closer to home, even though I’m far away. I enjoy adapting the recipes with whatever ingredients I can find in Japan. It makes the process more creative, and somehow the food becomes more meaningful.


Thanks for sharing! I hadn't heard of them before, but they look so delicious.
返信削除They look similar to harumaki and shumai(Chinese dumpling)?
I'm surprised by the goya siomay. I've only ever eaten goya as goya chanpuru(stir-fried goya). I want to try them!
Thank you! Yes, they do look a bit similar.
削除For the stuffed tofu, the difference from harumaki is that the “wrapper” is tofu itself, not a pastry.
And for the siomay, using goya is actually very common in Indonesia. When it’s steamed, the bitterness becomes milder and tastes nice with peanut sauce. I hope you can try it someday!
You look like a great cook. My Indonesian labmate once made me eat the first dish you mentioned. It was very tasty. The second one, siomay, sounds so wholesome. I must ask my friend to cook me this one day.
返信削除Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed the stuffed tofu when your friend made it. 😊
削除Yes, siomay is really wholesome and fun to make. If you get a chance, I hope your friend can cook it for you.