IJOOZ and Sugarcane Juice Vending Machines (Nahdiah Amin)

2026年1月23日金曜日

t f B! P L

During my visit to Jewel Changi Airport in Singapore last month, I became interested in automated fresh juice vending machines such as IJOOZ and Sugarcane by Quench. What caught my attention was not only their presence at Jewel, but also the fact that I encountered these machines repeatedly in different parts of the city, including MRT stations and shopping malls. I had actually seen a same machine before in Japan at Don Quijote (Donki), and I had heard that it originally came from Singapore. However, seeing the machines in their country of origin felt surprisingly exciting. These machines are part of a broader shift in how fresh food is offered in modern cities.

Fresh fruit juice is deeply embedded in everyday food culture across Southeast Asia. In countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand, it is very common to find juice sellers along the roadside or inside malls, where juice is freshly prepared by hand. These vendors emphasize freshness, affordability, and direct interaction with customers.

Meanwhile, machines like IJOOZ and Sugarcane by Quench can be seen as a modern continuation of this tradition. Instead of a human vendor, technology now takes over the squeezing process, but the core idea remains the same: fresh juice made on demand. The transparent design of these machines allows consumers to see oranges or sugarcane being processed inside, which closely resembles the visual reassurance provided by traditional street juice stalls.

Personally, I found the juice-making process itself quite fascinating. After paying the bill, the machines operate automatically, squeezing fresh fruit inside and dispensing the juice within a short time. Customers can choose whether they want ice cubes or not, and the machines even provide straws, making the experience very convenient. The price is also relatively affordable: around S$3 (approximately 330 yen) for IJOOZ orange juice and about S$2 (around 220 yen) for sugarcane juice. Considering that the juice is freshly squeezed (nama-shibori), the value feels reasonable. In Japan, the same machine I saw at Don Quijote was priced at around 350 yen per cup. 

Overall, I see IJOOZ and Sugarcane by Quench as modern, urban versions of Southeast Asian juice stalls. They do not replace traditional vendors, but instead adapt a long-standing cultural practice to contemporary urban life, where efficiency, hygiene, and speed are highly valued. This example shows how food culture evolves with technology, allowing familiar habits to continue in new forms while responding to changing lifestyles and environments.

But... when I tried IJOOZ at Jewel, the juice tasted a little sour… maybe I was just unlucky that day 😂😂



Calendar

Search This Blog

投稿数

QooQ