The New Year began with a subtle sense of magic. I went out early to witness the first sunrise of the year, as the sky gradually shifted from darkness to soft shades of orange and gold. In that still moment, everything felt calm and hopeful, as if the year was slowly opening up.
I was genuinely amazed to see so many people of all ages gathered by the ocean. Back home, we typically start the New Year by visiting a temple or performing rituals at home to express gratitude for the past year and seek blessings for the year ahead. I have a similar tradition here and make it a point to visit a shrine or temple every New Year to keep the ritual alive, and I especially enjoy purchasing omamori as a wish for happiness in the coming year.
After that, I visited Shiraito Waterfall. The sound of flowing water filled the air long before the waterfall appeared. Seeing countless thin streams of water fall gracefully against a lush green backdrop felt deeply refreshing. Despite being so close to Shizuoka, I had never been there and had only heard about it.
I am very much a souvenir-shop kind of person, so I couldn’t leave without buying something. I picked up a postcard and a Fuji marimo from the shop—small keepsakes to remember a peaceful start to the New Year.
Thank you for reading.
Ritu



I do not know if "to watch the first sunrise of the year" is popular event in other countries. Will anyone anwser it?
返信削除Not exactly the first sunrise of the New Year, but watching an early sunrise, especially on special occasions, is meaningful in many cultures in India.
返信削除