Dear all,
Because of a miscommunication, there was one student among those who registered for the course whom I failed to invite to join the blog.
Like the rest of you, she has prepared slides on this year’s theme, so I would appreciate it if you could send her your questions. Once she has received enough questions and responded to them, we will move on to the final step of concluding the course.
I also asked her her self-introduction.
Here is the link to Miki's mantou. I hear that the photo of mantous in the steamer showed what she made by herself.
Thank you for the explanation about Mantou. Simple items and preparation, yet so interesting.
返信削除Do you have a favourite way of eating it? And just curious — do you usually make mantou with all-purpose flour or whole wheat?
My favorite way of eating mantou is when it’s freshly steamed and still warm. I like to enjoy it plain so I can taste the natural sweetness of the wheat. Sometimes I also slice and lightly pan-fry it until the outside becomes crispy, then dip it in condensed milk — that’s a popular and delicious way to eat it.
削除As for the flour, I usually use all-purpose flour because it gives a soft and fluffy texture. However, whole wheat flour is also nice if you prefer a nuttier flavor and a slightly denser texture. It depends on the occasion and what kind of texture you want.
I can imagine it has a simple flavor, yet it looks incredibly delicious. Japanese steamed buns tend to be sweeter. Since this is a staple food, is the sweetness intentionally restrained? I hear there are unusual ways to eat it, too—do you have a favorite way?
返信削除Yes, you’re right. Mantou has a very simple flavor, and the sweetness is usually intentionally restrained. Since it is considered a staple food rather than a dessert, it is designed to be neutral so that it can be eaten with savory dishes. The mild flavor makes it versatile and suitable for everyday meals.
削除As for unusual ways to eat mantou, one popular method is deep-frying it and then dipping it in condensed milk. The outside becomes crispy while the inside stays soft, which creates a really nice contrast in texture.
My favorite way to eat it, though, is simply when it’s freshly steamed. I love mantou straight out of the steamer, soft, fluffy, and warm. The gentle wheat aroma and subtle sweetness are most noticeable at that moment, and I think that’s when it tastes best.
Hi Miki! Thank you for your presentation about Mantou.
返信削除I was really happy to see your slides because mantou is one of my absolute favorite carbohydrate foods!
In your presentation, you mentioned that mantou originates from the northern part of China. However, in my hometown in Indonesia, mantou is also available and sold under a local regional label. I have also eaten mantou in Singapore. In Singapore, it is deep-fried and served with chilli crab, one of Singapore’s signature dishes, and it is soooo delicious!
I would like to ask one question:
In your opinion, what makes mantou so special that it has spread to many other countries beyond China, while there are many other foods that are quite similar to mantou?
That’s a very interesting question. In my opinion, what makes mantou so special — and allows it to spread beyond China — is its simplicity and versatility.
削除First, mantou has a very neutral flavor. Because it isn’t strongly sweet or salty, it can easily adapt to different cuisines. It can be steamed, fried, or paired with a wide variety of dishes. For example, in Singapore it’s served with chilli crab, while in other places it can be eaten with condensed milk or enjoyed on its own.
Second, the ingredients are very simple — just flour, water, and yeast. These are basic ingredients available almost everywhere, which makes mantou easy to recreate in different countries without major changes.
Finally, I think texture is a key point. Mantou has a soft, fluffy texture that feels comforting and familiar, even to people from different food cultures. That balance of lightness and chewiness helps it stand out, even among similar foods.
So rather than being unique in a flashy way, mantou’s strength is that it’s adaptable, accessible, and comforting. That may be exactly why it has spread so widely across different regions.
Thank you for the nice presentation, I just curious among steamed, fried, or sweet versions of mantou, which do you find most appealing, and why?
返信削除Among the different ways of eating mantou, I personally find the steamed version the most appealing. I especially love it when it’s freshly steamed and still warm. At that moment, the mantou is at its softest and fluffiest, and you can really enjoy the gentle wheat aroma and its natural, subtle sweetness.
削除Thank you for the interesting presentation. Seeing mantou reminded me of the kakuni buns I had in Nagasaki. I recall that Nagasaki’s Shippoku cuisine has origins in Chinese culinary traditions. I was wondering if there is any connection between them.
返信削除Yes, there is definitely a historical connection. Nagasaki has long been a gateway for cultural exchange between Japan and China, especially during periods when Japan limited foreign trade. Shippoku cuisine developed under strong Chinese influence, blending Chinese cooking techniques and ingredients with Japanese tastes.
削除Mantou itself is a northern Chinese staple, while the kakuni buns you had in Nagasaki are more closely related to Chinese-style steamed buns (similar to bao). However, the technique of steaming wheat dough and serving it with rich braised pork likely reflects that historical culinary exchange.
So while mantou and Nagasaki-style kakuni buns are not exactly the same food, they share a common cultural and culinary background rooted in Chinese food traditions.
このコメントは投稿者によって削除されました。
返信削除Thank you for your introduction.
返信削除I think Japanese Mantou has many varieties for example pizza taste and Carry. This culture is only Japan or not ?
This culture is not limited to Japan. In China, there are also many types of filled buns (such as baozi) with a wide variety of ingredients, including meats, vegetables, and even sweet fillings. Other countries in Asia, like Singapore and Indonesia, have also adapted these buns to local tastes.
削除That said, Japan is especially known for its unique and creative flavor combinations,like pizza or curry, which are less traditional and more modern. So while the concept of variety exists in many countries, the specific “fusion-style” flavors you mentioned are particularly characteristic of Japanese food culture.
Your slide on mantou was really interesting.
返信削除It seems that mantou came to Japan from China through Buddhist connections even before Western-style bread arrived from Portugal in Muromachi. Over time, it evolved into sweet "manju", which became deeply rooted in Japanese food culture. Considering this, I started wondering whether this earlier wheat-based tradition may have influenced the later development of Japan’s unique bread culture, such as sakadane anpan and other sweet breads. I almost felt I should have included this perspective in my own slides!
Could you share what inspired you to focus on mantou?
I chose mantou as my topic because I had bought too much flour and was looking for ways to use it up. When I tried making mantou, it turned out to be really delicious, so I decided to use it as the subject of my presentation.
削除I see. I'm glad you found a good recipe! I'll try making them myself.
削除Thank you for your presentation.
返信削除Why is mantou mainly eaten as a staple food in northern China rather than in other regions?
Mantou is mainly eaten as a staple food in northern China largely because of climate and agriculture. The northern regions are generally colder and drier, which makes them more suitable for growing wheat rather than rice. As a result, wheat-based foods like mantou, noodles, and dumplings became the foundation of everyday meals there.
削除In contrast, southern China has a warmer and more humid climate that is ideal for rice cultivation, so rice became the primary staple instead of wheat-based foods.
Over time, these agricultural differences shaped regional food cultures. Mantou naturally became a daily staple in the north, while in other regions it is more often eaten as a snack or alongside other dishes rather than as the main source of carbohydrates.
Sorry for the delayed reply. I heard that staple foods vary by region in China. In which regions is mantou particularly eaten?
返信削除