My First Encounter with Ayu: Japan’s Sweetfish Delight (Yuni Kartika)

2026年2月3日火曜日

t f B! P L

 


As someone who just arrived in Japan, I’m always excited to try local foods. Last year, I discovered something called ayu, or sweetfish, and it completely surprised me!

I first saw it at a small riverside restaurant. The fish was grilled whole on skewers, with a simple sprinkle of salt. At first, I wasn’t sure what to expect, the fish looked so delicate and golden, almost too pretty to eat!

When I took my first bite, I was amazed. The flesh was tender, slightly sweet, and full of natural flavor. Unlike the seafood I’m used to back home, ayu has this gentle taste that feels fresh and seasonal. I learned that this is a summer delicacy in Japan, often caught from clear rivers and grilled immediately to preserve its flavor.

What I loved the most is how simple preparation highlights the fish itself, no heavy sauces or complicated cooking. Just the fish, the fire, and a pinch of salt. Eating ayu felt like experiencing a small piece of Japanese tradition, connecting nature, season, and cuisine all in one bite.

I’m so glad I tried it, it’s one of those dishes that makes me appreciate the elegance in Japanese food culture. And yes, I captured a photo of it grilled perfectly golden, it’s as beautiful as it is delicious.

 


Calendar

Search This Blog

投稿数

QooQ