Foods and Culture 2025
2026年2月6日金曜日
Dear all,
Here is the link to Ritu's pitha.
Pitha -- pista -?- pasta
Is it just a coincidence?
QooQ
I've visited Assam nearly 10 times for work, but I'd never noticed Phitha. Looking at the ingredients, I thought it would be a flavor Japanese people would like (familier), with jaggery (brown sugar?), sesame seeds, and glutinous rice. I'll look for it the next time I visit.
返信削除It says it's a celebratory sweet, but can I(tourist) find and eat it on ordinary days?
10 times for work!! It's pleasingly surprising. Pitha is usually prepared at home, so it isn’t very commercialised. You’ll mostly find it at small local vendors or shopkeepers. During festive times—especially around Bihu, you’ll definitely see it everywhere in the markets and at special Bihu stalls. But honestly, I think the best way to experience pitha is by visiting someone’s home and having it freshly made. Pithas are also available all the time at the airport souvenir shops.
削除I lived in Assam for almost ten years, and during that time I developed a deep love for pitha. It was not just a food for me, but an emotion connected with festivals, friends, and home. Every year during Bihu, my friend would specially bring pitha from her home just for me, knowing how much I loved it. I also visited my friend’s house during Bihu many times, where I enjoyed eating different kinds of pitha in a warm and joyful family atmosphere.
返信削除I ate pitha a lot during those celebrations, and each bite reminded me of the culture and happiness of Assam. Even on normal days, I used to buy pitha from local shops because I simply could not resist it. Now that I am away, I miss pitha a lot. I often think about its taste and the memories attached to it. I do not know when I will be able to eat it again, but my love for pitha remains the same.
I am glad to know this, truly, it’s so amazing. Oh, I hope you get to eat it again really soon! I totally agree—once you’ve tasted it, there’s no going back. Thank you so much for sharing your memories. It's really heartwarming.
削除Thank you for your informative presentation on Pitha!
返信削除I found it very interesting, and as someone who enjoys sweet foods, I would love to try it 😊
Among the various types of pitha you introduced, which one do you personally prefer?
Additionally, is pitha commonly available through street vendors, or has it also been commercialized and sold as packaged products in supermarkets?
I am so happy you found it interesting. Please give it a try – one day!! Well, for me, my go-to is coconut pitha and tel pitha. It is not a super commercialised commodity. Since largely family still make it at your home or receive it through their relatives. But of course, during or around the Bihu festival, there are pop-ups or street stalls that sell pithas.
返信削除Sensei, I think it’s basically a coincidence. They sound similar, and both involve flour. But I think they are linguistically independent.
返信削除Thank you for the interesting presentation! It's wonderful that pita can be eaten as a way to entertain and celebrate. Is there any other dish that you often eat with it?
返信削除It's wonderful that you understood the essence of pitha. I most often eat pitha with milk tea. But for bamboo pita, I really enjoy it with chicken curry or a cherry potato fry dish, also cooked over an open fire, eaten on a banana leaf.
返信削除Thank you for the wonderful presentation!
返信削除I apologize for the delayed comment as I was in New Zealand for an international conference last week. I'd be delighted if you could answer my questions when you have time.
I found the method for making tekeli pitha particularly unique and fascinating. I'd love to try it someday!
Among the photos of til pitha, there were some blue and pink ones. Why are they so colorful?
Thank you for showing your interest, and I hope you had a wonderful time in New Zealand at the international conference!
削除I really hope you get a chance to try it someday. Regarding the blue and pink til pitha in the photos, the colours come from natural food colouring. Traditionally, til pitha is not colourful; However, nowadays, especially for festive presentation or modern variations, people sometimes add natural colours extracted from ingredients like butterfly pea flower (for blue) or beetroot (for pink). It makes the pitha look more attractive while keeping it safe and edible.
Sorry for asking my question late, and thank you for your presentation.
返信削除How has modernization, such as the use of electric grinders and urban lifestyles, changed the traditional process and cultural meaning of making pitha?
Modernisation has undoubtedly altered both the way pitha is made and what it represents. Traditionally, making pitha was a slow, collaborative process—rice was ground manually with a dheki, and the preparation brought families and neighbours together, particularly during festivals like Magh Bihu. Today, electric grinders, ready-made rice flour, and hectic urban lifestyles have made the process much faster and more convenient. Nonetheless, pitha remains a powerful symbol of cultural identity.
返信削除Taste-wise, there are subtle differences between traditional and modern methods of making pitha. When rice is ground using a traditional dheki, the texture of the flour is often slightly coarser and more aromatic, which gives the pitha a distinct, earthy flavour. Cooking over firewood can also add a mild smoky note that enhances the overall taste. With electric grinders and packaged rice flour, the texture tends to be finer and more uniform. While this makes the pitha softer and more consistent, some people feel it lacks the depth of flavour that comes from the traditional process. However, the difference is usually subtle, and the quality of ingredients — such as fresh sesame seeds and good-quality jaggery — still plays the most important role in determining the final taste.