Hello everyone, my name is Sapna Kumari, you can call me Sapna. I am from India, and I come from the state of Bihar, a region known for its rich cultural heritage and deep historical significance. Bihar is especially famous as the land where Lord Buddha attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree in Bodh Gaya. This spiritual history has shaped the region’s identity, making it a place that values simplicity, mindfulness, and a close connection to nature.
I am currently a doctoral student in the Food Engineering Laboratory, enrolled in the Science of Biological Resources course at the United Graduate School of Agricultural Science (UGSAS), Gifu University.
My PhD research focuses on “Calcium-Induced Modification of Blueberry Cell Wall Structure Using Vacuum Infiltration and Its Impact on Polyphenol Release.”
In simple terms, my work explores how calcium chloride can strengthen or modify the blueberry cell wall to enhance the stability and controlled release of polyphenols important antioxidants linked to chronic disease prevention and better nutritional health. Ultimately, my research aims to contribute to the development of functional fruit-based products that support healthier lifestyles and help reduce the burden of non-communicable diseases.
Living in Japan has also allowed me to experience and appreciate its unique food culture. Two dishes that have become my favorites are ramen and sushi. The warmth and richness of ramen feel incredibly comforting, while the fresh, delicate flavors of sushi highlight the precision and elegance of Japanese cuisine. Through these foods, I have come to admire how Japan celebrates balance, seasonality, and respect for ingredients.
Beyond the cuisine, I am truly inspired by the kindness, discipline, and cultural harmony I observe in Japanese life. From everyday politeness to the beauty of seasonal traditions, Japan creates an environment where culture and nature coexist beautifully. Experiencing these values has added a meaningful dimension to my academic journey here.
Hello, Sapna. Speaking of polyphenols, my wife recently got some garden huckleberries (a Solanum species) for the first time. Yesterday, she made jam from them. They are said to contain about five times more anthocyanins, which suggests they are really healthy. I wonder if you have tried them.
返信削除Hello! That sounds wonderful, garden huckleberries are quite special.
返信削除I haven’t personally tried garden huckleberries yet, but I have read a lot about them. Since they are a Solanum species, their deep purple color comes from high anthocyanin content, just like you mentioned. Anthocyanins are powerful polyphenols with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and potential anti-diabetic properties. Having five times more anthocyanins than many common berries makes them a very nutritious choice.
Jam is actually one of the best ways to enjoy them because heat helps release some bound anthocyanins from plant tissues, increasing their availability. Many people describe the raw berries as slightly bitter or bland, but cooking transforms their flavor nicely.
If your wife made fresh jam, you’re both definitely getting a delicious and healthy treat!
Thank you for sharing this, it sounds lovely. Let me know how you liked the taste; I’m curious because experiences with garden huckleberries vary a lot.