Inside the Indian Mehndi Ceremony

I just returned from India after attending the wedding of two of my best friends from elementary school. The last two weeks were filled with celebration, emotion, and warmth. I wanted to write about one of my favourite pre-wedding ceremonies—the Mehndi ceremony. This usually takes place a day before the wedding and centres around applying bridal mehndi, or henna, to the bride’s hands and feet. It’s one of the most festive and joyful pre-wedding traditions in Indian culture.
But the ceremony is much more than a beauty ritual. It is a celebration filled with dance performances, colourful outfits, upbeat music, and delicious food. Ultimately, the Mehndi ceremony is about showering the bride with love, wishing her well, and blessing the soon-to-be newlyweds.
Mehndi is a natural dye made from Lawsonia inermis, the henna plant. For centuries, people in warmer regions, including India, have used henna paste for its natural cooling properties. It is known to relieve stress, fever, and headaches and is believed to calm the bride’s nerves when applied to her hands and feet. Beyond its medicinal uses, Mehndi has been used as body art for thousands of years.

According to tradition, the darker the bride’s mehndi, the stronger the love she will receive from her partner and in-laws. Since this event is centred around the bride, it is usually hosted by her side of the family. For me, the Mehndi ceremony is one of the most looked-forward-to events in an Indian wedding. I love the intricate designs and the comforting smell of henna. Brides usually have elaborate, detailed patterns, while guests and bridesmaids choose smaller, simpler designs.

Although the Mehndi itself is mainly for women, male relatives also join the celebration afterwards. Sometimes they apply a tiny symbol or their partner’s initials on the palm—just for fun. Brides often have their partner’s name hidden within their design, symbolising love and destiny.
Every time I attend a Mehndi ceremony, it brings out the traditional side in all of us. We create memories that stay with us long after the wedding is over.
I hope this gave you a little glimpse into something new and meaningful.
- Ritu



It must have been an exciting event! It’s a pity that we can’t experience things like music or smells through written text alone.
返信削除Indeed it is a pity. I tried to say as much as I could about the Mehendi ceremony.
削除Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!
返信削除The Mehndi ceremony looks so colourful and full of joy. I studied in India last year, and I heard that weddings are much larger than in Japan. My Indian friend said they will invite me someday, so I’m really looking forward to experiencing these traditions in person.
Sounds great! You should most certainly attend the wedding when your friends invite you. It will be a whole new experience for you. Depending on which state and culture your friends belong to, you might get to see many different types of wedding ceremonies. And yes, weddings are quite large in terms of the people involved if we compare them to Japan. An average Indian wedding will have up to a thousand guests.
削除I don’t know much about Indian weddings, but your story about the Mehndi ceremony was really fascinating! I loved reading about the colourful outfits, intricate henna designs, and the joyful atmosphere. It really made me feel the excitement and love of the celebration. I hope that someday I can see a Mehndi ceremony in person too!
返信削除I am so glad it interests you. Please attend an Indian wedding someday. Indian weddings are highly participatory. You will have a lot of activities to do on your own. Hopefully, you'll get to wear colourful outfits and have Mehendi done.
削除