Hi. everyone.
Today I want to introduce you a amazing fruit 'Zapote Negro'.
'Negro' means 'Black' in Spanish. So 'Zapote Negro' means 'Black Zapote'.
I saw the fruit for the first time in a orched in Mexico.
I was so suprise because the fruit shape looks lika a persimmon, but its leaf looks like a citrus. My professor in Mexico told me that, "It belong to same family as persimmon, but the skin color of matture fruit is not orange". I was really surprised with the information and couldn't wait the harvesting time.
2 months later, finally I tried the fruits. The mature fruit had green skin, black fresh, soft texture. Before I tried it, I thought it's completely different from persimmon because generally persimmon with green skin is inmature and hard. But when I tried it, I was really suprised that it has perssimmon flavor. I like perssimmon so much, but I hadn't had a oppotunity to try it because there are few perssimmon tree in Mexico. Even though I was eating unfamiliar fruit, it felt familiar.It's not a fruit I saw very often, so I only ate it once during my year in Mexico. But it was an experience that left a lasting impression on me.
I mde a research trip to Mexico and spent 3 weeks there but I never saw that fruit! Don't they enjoy dried one?
返信削除I've never heard of dried ones. It has a wonderfully soft and sticky texture, so much so that it's called chocolate pudding.
削除Thank you for the interesting post. I like persimmons too! Zapote negro looks strange because of its color. Is it always green from immature to mature?
返信削除That's right! I was surprised too, but even after ripening, the skin stays green. Actually, depending on the variety, avocados can also soften while keeping their green skin.
削除I really want to try eating it. It seems hard to tell when the fruit is ripe if the color doesn't change!
返信削除It doesn't change color, but since you eat it in a soft state—so soft it's called chocolate pudding—there's no need to worry about missing the perfect moment to enjoy it!
削除