Hi all,
Do you enjoy this mid of winter season?
I do not join your Q&A's because it increase questions. We have already many students who will make questions.
So sometimes I will check who are active and who are not to complete our tasks.
Here is Satsuki's Takoyaki.
I really love takoyaki! thank you fro bringing this topic here. I just learned about its origins with Akashiyaki and Radioyaki! I would love to try them. Are Akashiyaki and Radioyaki available in Gifu, or can they only be found in Osaka and Akashi?
返信削除Thank you for your comment!
削除It seems there aren't any restaurants in Gifu City where you can eat those...
However, I found an izakaya in Minokamo City that serves Akashiyaki.
(https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/289726906/ming-shi-shao-shao-nai-jia/)
Also, it appears that mobile food trucks sell Radioyaki in Aichi and Gifu.
(https://radioyaki-tonboya.com)
Thanks. I really enjoy reading your presentation.
返信削除I have a question. When Takoyaki's history occurred? And, How Takoyaki's shape round?
Thank you for your question.
削除Takoyaki is said to have originated in 1935 when a shop called Aizuya in Osaka improved upon Radioyaki.
As for why Takoyaki is round, I believe it's because Radioyaki was round. So, why was Radioyaki round? This is not clearly understood.
One theory suggests it developed from Choboyaki, considered the origin of Radioyaki. Choboyaki is cooked on a copper plate with small hemispherical indentations. However, unlike Takoyaki, the batter isn't divided and cooked in each individual indentation. The entire copper plate forms one Choboyaki, resulting in a square shape when cooked.
I wonder if the method of dividing the batter to cook separately came from this Choboyaki?
Other theories suggest Akashiyaki was the origin. Akashiyaki is said to have originated as a way to use leftover egg yolks from making imitation coral called Akashi-dama. Since Akashi-dama was also made round using molds similar to modern Takoyaki, it's thought that Takoyaki may have adopted this round shape by imitating it.
Thank you for the interesting presentation! This was the first time I learned about radioyaki. Is it something you can only eat at Aizuya? I'm also curious about the origins of Akashiyaki. If you know, please let me know.
返信削除Thank you for your question!
削除It seems you can find Radioyaki outside of Aizuya, but it might be difficult within Gifu City itself... I did find food trucks selling it in Gifu and Aichi. With a bit of luck, you might be able to find it in Gifu too.
Akashiyaki is said to have originated as a way to use leftover egg yolks from making imitation coral called Akashi-dama. The copper plates used for making Akashiyaki are also said to be modeled after the plates used for making Akashi-dama.
I have never heard of radioyaki, so I want to try it someday. I like "Gindaco", and I think it is more firm (or crispy, hard...) than takoyaki in Kansai region. If you know why there is such a difference, could you tell me about it?
返信削除Thank you for your comment.
削除I love Gindaco too! I think it gets so crispy because they add oil at the end and deep-fry it.
Thank you for the presentation. I learned that radioyaki is the origin of takoyaki. Why was octopus added later and how did it become the standard ingredient?
返信削除Thank you for your question!
削除The reason it's octopus isn't exactly clear... However, it's said that octopus is included in Akashiyaki, which was the inspiration for Takoyaki, because octopus is a specialty product of Akashi City. The egg yolk used in the Akashiyaki batter is also a leftover from making imitation coral called Akashi-dama, so I think they used ingredients that were easy to get in large quantities.
Why the octopus became the standard ingredient in Takoyaki itself remains unclear. But Takoyaki seems to have been popular in the past, just as it is today. I sometimes wonder why octopus is the standard too—maybe it's the addictive texture...?
I think Imagawayaki has been around for a long time as a sweet made by pouring flour into a round mold, so why did Kansai people decide to make a meal-like ball shape product in bite-sized pieces?
返信削除Thank you for your comment!
削除That's an interesting perspective. While this is just my guess, I think one reason for the round shape is ease of heating. Round shapes cook more evenly than square ones.
Also, the round shape might contribute to how friendly the food feels to eat...
Sorry for the late reply. Many young Japanese people love takoyaki, right? What's your favorite filling?
返信削除