It feels like just a short while ago I was writing my introduction blog, and now I am writing the final one. Time really passed so quickly.
I took this course because it was recommended by my colleague, and I am truly glad I did. Through discussions, readings, and reflections, I started to see food in a new way. I realised that every dish carries a story—of migration, modernisation, family, and memory. Even simple everyday meals have cultural meaning.
One of the most meaningful parts of this course was reflecting on my own background.
For my last blog, I chose to share something familiar: idlis. Sapna recently presented about idlis, and since then, I have been craving them. I make idlis quite often, but I hadn’t made them in a while. Here, I usually use semolina instead of rice.
![]() |
| Plain Idli with peanut chutney |
Back home, my parents would soak the rice and keep it out in the sun to ferment. In winter, we would wait three days. In summer, maybe two. During those days, we would start anticipating the moment we could finally eat soft, warm idlis with peanut and coconut chutney. That anticipation made the experience even more special. Somehow, waiting made the idlis taste even better.
![]() |
| Dosa |
![]() |
| Fried idli |
Leftover idlis can also be fried. When cut into pieces and lightly fried with spices, they become slightly crispy on the outside but remain soft inside. It is a simple way to enjoy the same food in a new form.
Thank you for being part of this journey.
I'm hopeful we can connect at some other place, some other time.
-Ritu



I am happy to see that you are satisfied with this class. This is an online tutorial, so it is designed to be conducted over the internet. However, I often imagine how much fun it would be if we could hold the class in person, as the dishes introduced are very appealing to me. I still cannot quite imagine the taste of your plain idli, and I am eager to try it!
返信削除Wow, you made idli! Now I really want to eat them too, but unfortunately, I can’t right now. Your blog made me miss this simple and comforting food even more. I hope that someday we will meet in person, and I will have the chance to taste the idlis you make. I’m sure they will be very delicious. Until then, I will keep craving them and remembering your post.
返信削除