Dear all,
What a wonderful weather! It is almost spring!
I went to the Museum of Modern Ceramic Art, Gifu to enjoy the special exibition “TEACUP MERRY-GO-ROUND 100 years of the European Modern Ceramic Design from the MoMCA Collection” yesterday.
I found and enjoyed Art Nouveau artworks containing many animals like this. I wondered if cicadas are popular in Europe. Or isn’t it a cicada?
I have checked the Q&A sections for all of your presentations. Below is my check sheet. You were supposed to submit two questions each week, except during your own presentation week. So, should that make six questions in total?
You are also expected to respond to the questions on your own presentation. This is quite important, because it cannot really be a Q&A session without the “A,” right?
If you have missed answering any questions, please do so as soon as possible.
Find your name in coloring cell, and check if you have any cells with only Q (not QA but only Q) in the same column. If you have, your presentation has questions unanswered.
Thank you for letting. I thought I had replied, but it didn't go through properly. I have now completed the reply.
返信削除👍️
削除I have responded to the questions listed in the table in the image. I apologize for the delay.
返信削除I also wrote a question for Miki today.
>Prof. Miyake
I had actually been hoping to visit that exhibition myself. It looks like a wonderful piece,.
Cicadas are an important symbol in Europe. In ancient times, perhaps because they emerge from the ground and sing so abundantly, they were associated with rebirth and prosperity. Since Art Nouveau was, in part, a movement that reexamined art through the revival of ancient motifs and the fusion of different cultures, I imagine that it may have consciously incorporated such ancient symbols.
In Europe—especially in southern France—the cicada is also regarded as a symbol of good luck and continues to be widely used today. One explanation for this association is the belief that years with many cicadas tend to bring better harvests. Of course, Art Nouveau likely also contributed to the popularity of the motif.
For example, on cutlery often used in fine-dining restaurants in France (such as Jean Dubost Laguiole), you can find a small cicada emblem that at first glance looks almost like a fly. When I first saw it, I remember wondering, “Why is there a fly on this?” and later looking into the reason.
Thank you for compiling the summary.
返信削除I had overlooked the latest posts, so I have updated my comments. Could you please check them?
I would like to enjoy the lecture until the very end.