Dear all,
Thank you, everyone, for your self-introductions. I really enjoyed reading them.
We had a holiday on Monday—did you go anywhere? I hope you can tell us about your holiday in your next post. And as many of you have already started doing, I expect each of you to leave comments on others’ posts. If you receive a comment, please don’t forget to reply.
My daughter, who is currently living in Okinawa, came home last Friday, and our family visited Tokamachi in Niigata, a place famous for its heavy snowfall in winter. There was already some snow left on the ground, and we enjoyed delicious Japanese cuisine there.
I forgot to take any photos, but many houses had daikon radishes hanging along the walls to dry. It’s surprisingly hard to find photos online that match exactly what I saw, but they looked similar to this.
I realized that this is exactly a kind of “food-formed scenery,” something that reflects the culture shaped by local food traditions.
We saw another scenery recently: persimmons! My daughter and I visited Ijira in Gifu and found a wonderfully picturesque one.
I really like these kinds of “food-formed sceneries,” so if you know any others, please let us share.
Thanks for the awesome photos! I thought the dried daikon and persimmons were amazing. They really show how local food customs make the land look unique. I hope I can see this “food-formed scenery” in Tokamachi in person one day!
返信削除I do not know if this scenery is unique to Tokamachi, as my daughter did like this when she went to preschool in Niigata City.
返信削除